Call for Proposals: One ASEAN Startup Award 2024
ERIA Digital Innovation and Sustainable Economy Centre (E-DISC) proudly presents the One ASEAN Startup Award, under the vision to foster the growth of the startup ecosystem across ASEAN. The award aims to recognise, reward, and promote the brightest innovators to grow rapidly and solve ASEAN-wide issues, and join our journey to drive positive change to influence policymakers toward crafting an environment conducive to startup growth.
ERIA aims to further promote open innovation in ASEAN, endorsing rewards for initiatives aimed at serving as role models for the future. With the objectives of promoting the formation of the ASEAN startup ecosystem and helping ASEAN countries to achieve startup-driven economic growth, E-DISC targets five main topics in the research project framework: innovation and digital transformation, human development and entrepreneurship, supply chain and one flows, development and governance of technology, and inclusiveness. ERIA is calling for research collaborations with startups, to build a collaborative ecosystem linking research collaborations which have a real-world impact.
|Open to startups who utilise artificial intelligence (AI), with applications across sectors, can analyse data, automate tasks, and make predictions.
|Open to startups generating positive social and environmental impacts alongside a financial return, including sectors such as renewable energy, healthcare, education, financial services, and sustainable consumer goods.
- Pre-event award: US$10,000 will be granted to the winner in each category as a research fund with the commitment to be an E-DISC research partner.
- The grant will be 50% funded at the beginning of the research, with the remaining 50% allocated upon submission and acceptance of the research output.
- Startup which currently has business operations in Southeast Asia with no limitation on where the startup is from.
- Nominated entity should propose a research topic with an actual action plan and be willing to work together with ERIA experts on studies.
Benefits for Award Winners
- Broaden their networks by utilising the E-DISC network with startup ecosystem key players, including national agencies from ASEAN and member nations, venture capitalists (VCs), incubators, and large corporations.
- Invited as an E-DISC research partner for report and white paper publication, including policy recommendations.
- Research fund to be granted for collaborations with E-DISC. The research duration period is one year, and the results of the research will need to be submitted to ERIA for public publication.
How to Apply
- Submit nominee information through nomination form. *Could be own company or other company
- The secretariat team will reach out to nominees to confirm their willingness to be nominated.
- Request information and pitch deck required for nominations.
- Finalists for pre-events to be nominated by selection committee for each pre-event.
- Finalist pitches in the pre-events and one winner will be selected from each group in each pre-event.
- All the winners to pitch in the One ASEAN Startup Summit and business matching with large corporates and investors.
*Multiple-time nominations are accepted.
- Five finalist startups to be selected for each category in each pre-event.
- Finalist startups will be invited to pre-event to pitch in-person at the event.
- Proposals on research topic for each category to be included in each pitch presentation.
The proposals will be evaluated based on the criteria shown below.
1. Technological superiority
1. Relevance of social issues
2. Appropriateness of the plan
3. Validity of survey/research content
4. Feasibility of the plan
Date: 23 April 2024
Venue: Manila, Philippines
Nomination Period: Mid-Feb to mid-Mar 2024
Date: June 2024
Venue: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Nomination Period: End of April to mid-May 2024
Date: Aug 2024
Venue: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Nomination Period: End of June to mid-July 2024
Terms and Conditions
- Award prizes are granted under the condition the startup commits to be an E-DISC research partner in 2025 for a year.
- Award winners are requested to submit their research results to ERIA in documents within a year after the award is granted. The format and details of the report are to be discussed with ERIA.