ERIA Publishes a Special Issue with the Journal of Energy Policy on Financing Renewable Energy in East Asia
Date:4 October 2016
As the main outcome of a one-year research project between 2015 and 2016 on the topic of 'Financing Renewable Energy Investment in East Asian Developing Countries', ERIA published a special issue with the top energy research journal, Energy Policy, in its August 2016 volume.
The special issue was edited by Prof Youngho Chang, Mr Shigeru Kimura, and Dr Yanfei Li.
The research aims to identify and update the most effective policies in the Asian context, especially for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member countries, the People's Republic of China (henceforth, China), and India. Specifically, it addresses what policies could effectively mitigate the most prominent risks related to renewable energy investments and therefore facilitate the application of the most promising financial mechanism in the region.
The project invited field experts to contribute research papers to give a timely update on the most important policy issues related to the financing of renewable energy development in the developing East Asian countries. The working group of authors consists of field experts in renewable energy financing issues from top energy research institutes such as the Brunei National Energy Research Institute, the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, the Energy Research Institute of Chulalongkorn University, the Energy Studies Institute of National University of Singapore, North China Electric Power University, and ERIA; international financial institutions such as the Asian Development Bank; and universities such as Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, Ohio State University in the US, and Southwestern University of Finance and Economics in China.
A total of eleven papers from this project were solicited to be published formally in the Special Issue. A full list of the articles with clickable links to Elsevier and Sciencedirect web site for downloading is provided below.
- Financing renewable energy in the developing countries of the East Asia Summit region: Introduction
- Renewable energy policies in promoting financing and investment among the East Asia Summit countries: Quantitative assessment and policy implications
- Assessment of instruments in facilitating investment in off-grid renewable energy projects
- Business models and financing options for a rapid scale-up of rooftop solar power systems in Thailand
- Innovative business models and financing mechanisms for distributed solar PV(DSPV) deployment in China
- Exuberance in China's renewable energy investment: Rationality, capital structure and implications with firm level evidence
- Analysis of the policy effects of downstream Feed-In Tariff on China's solar photovoltaic industry
- Implications of applying solar industry best practice resource estimation on project financing
- Retail electricity tariff and mechanism design to incentivize distributed renewable generation
- Bond financing for renewable energy in Asia
- Making renewable energy competitive in India: Reducing financing costs via a government-sponsored hedging facility