Emerging Global Trade Governance: Mega Free Trade Agreements and Implications for ASEAN
Mega free trade agreements (FTAs) are being formed to fill the gap created by new developments in global governance and are reshaping the world economic order. The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement is one of such 21st century FTAs.
This book highlights three trade-related issues covered by the TPP that greatly concern emerging countries – investment, intellectual property rights (IPR), and state-owned enterprises (SOEs). It contains rigorous economic, legal, and political analyses on the final text of the agreement, combined with country-specific policy discussions focusing on Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Viet Nam, giving readers insights on the establishment of global rules and regulations for 21st century trade. The book also outlines the requirements for emerging Asian countries to better formulate trade policies in the new era of international trade and promote regional integration in ASEAN and East Asia.
About the Book
Edited by Lurong Chen, Shujiro Urata, Junji Nakagawa, Masahito Ambashi
282 pages | 11 B/W Illus.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Mega FTAs in the 21st Century Global Trade Governance (Lurong Chen, Shujiro Urata, Junji Nakagawa and Mashaito Ambashi)
Part I: Rules and Regulations on Investment
1. Investment in the Trans-Pacific Partnership: Possible Impacts on ASEAN Member States (Junji Nakagawa)
2. The Investment Chapter of the Trans-Pacific Partnership and Indonesia (Riza Noer Arfani)
3. An Assessment of the Philippines’ Readiness to Mega New Generation Agreements: Investment (Glenda T. Reyes)
Part II: Rules and Regulations on Intellectual Property Rights
4. Understanding the IP-related Contents of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (Akiko Kato)
5. Intellectual Property Rights in TPP Agreement: Commitments and Implications for Viet Nam (Nguyen Anh Duong)
6. Regulatory Framework on IPR in Indonesia: Overview and Preliminary Assessment on the TPP’s IP Chapter (Poppy S. Winanti)
7. Access to Medicines and Plant Seeds: The Challenges the Philippines Faces with the TPP’s Intellectual Property Rights Rule (Ramon L. Clarete)
8. Intellectual Property Protection under the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement: From Thailand’s Perspective (Jakkrit Kuanpoth)
Part III: Rules and Regulations on State-owned Enterprises
9. Disciplines on State-owned Enterprises under the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement: Overview and Assessment (Tsuyoshi Kawase and Masahito Ambashi)
10. TPP and State-owned Enterprises in Viet Nam (Vo Tri Thanh)
11. State Trading Rules in TPP: Implications for the Philippines (Ramon L. Clarete)
12. Disciplines on State-owned Enterprises in Indonesia vis-à-vis the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (Maharani Hapsari)
Click here to purchase the book. Hardback version available.
Paperback version available for pre-order.