Outcomes of the 45th AEM Meeting and Related Meetings
The 45th ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM) Meeting and related meetings was held in Brunei Darussalam from August 16 to 21, 2013. Prof. Hidetoshi Nishimura, Executive Director of ERIA, Economists and senior staffs of ERIA, attended the several meetings.
The ASEAN Economic Community Council (AECC) Meeting was held on August 19, 2013. Prof. Hidetoshi Nishimura, Executive Director of ERIA, made a presentation in this meeting on "Towards Informed Regulatory Conversations and Improved Regulatory Coherence in ASEAN: Logistics Sector and Trade Facilitation". This is an ERIA's study under AEC Scorecard Phase 3. He impressed upon the ministers that efficient logistics and trade facilitation are critical to deeper ASEAN integration and greater ASEAN competitiveness. This can be achieved through institutional connectivity and regulatory coherence. In his presentation he urged the leaders to look into the issues of regulatory burdens and regulatory improvement in a concerted manner and to use the same as a competitiveness tool for the region. The AECC thanked Prof. Nishimura for his presentation and in bringing the attention towards this important issue.
The East Asia Summit (EAS) Economic Ministers Meeting was held on August 21, 2013. Prof. Hidetoshi Nishimura, Executive Director of ERIA, made a presentation to the ministers on ERIA's activities and some ideas on a new development model for the East Asia. He thanked the ministers for their continued support to ERIA and reiterated his commitments to the region in his second term as the Executive Director of ERIA. He drew the attention of the ministers to the growing income disparities within the countries, firms and sectors in the region. He emphasized upon the need of a proper economic policy regime in the region which would include enhancing the human capital and making industrial agglomeration efficient. Prof. Nishimura urged the ministers to discuss how this new development model can be realized in the region through active cooperation and seamless coordination. The Ministers appreciated the presentation made by Prof. Nishimura.
In the Joint Media Statement of the EAS Economic Ministers Meeting, ERIA's efforts was mentioned in paragraph 8, 15, 16, 17 and 18.
Joint Media Statement of EAS Economic Ministers Meeting
8. .....The role of ERIA in assisting EAS members in better understanding and advancing regulatory connectivity was acknowledged.
Updates on ERIA Activities
15. The Ministers commended the updates provided by ERIA in various fields such as SME, AEC Scorecard, connectivity, energy, and Myanmar Comprehensive Development Vision (MCDV), and agreed on the important role of ERIA in ASEAN's efforts to develop a blueprint for the AEC beyond 2015. The Ministers also welcomed ERIA's presentation on the new development and integration model for East Asia, in which deepening economic integration and narrowing the development gaps would be attained simultaneously. The Ministers looked forward to ERIA's continued support and contribution for integration and prosperity of the region as a whole.
16. The Ministers welcomed the ERIA's 6th Governing Board Meeting Statement, which expresses ERIA's strong will to formulate effective region-wide policy recommendations to achieve greater connectivity and to address the global issues, and anticipates closer communication with policy makers.
17. The Ministers agreed to provide guidance and continue their oversight of ERIA's activities. Specifically, based on their discussion of connectivity enhancement and ASEAN Economic Integration, they instructed ERIA to research and propose industry cluster policy which will attain an optimal production network to further promote growth in ASEAN from a medium- and long-term prospective.
18. The Ministers appreciated contributions from ASEAN Member States, India, Japan and New Zealand to ERIA.
Joint Media Statement EAS Economic Minsiters Meeting
Joint Media Statement of the 45th AEM Meeting mentions about the ASEAN SME Policy Index developed by ERIA in paragraph 28.
Joint Media Statement of the 45th AEM Meeting
Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
28. The Ministers noted the progress in the development of the ASEAN SME Policy Index and the integrative and country reports to be finalised by September 2013. The Ministers welcomed the enhanced regional cooperation on SMEs as well as the enhanced cooperation between ASEAN and the dialogue partners focusing on SME development.
Joint Media Statement 45th ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting