ERIA Cited in Joint Ministerial Statements of ASEAN and EAS Energy Ministers Meetings
ERIA's efforts were highlighted in the joint ministerial statements of the 33rd ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting and the 9th East Asia Summit Energy Ministers Meeting, held on 7-8 October 2015, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
ERIA is mentioned in paragraph 16 of the joint ministerial statement of the 33rd ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting.
16. The Ministers noted the continuing efforts to facilitate information sharing and capacity building for ASEAN Member States considering civilian nuclear energy for power generation as an option to meet their energy needs. The Ministers welcomed the discussions on nuclear energy cooperation with China, Canada, the United States, ROSATOM and the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) under the Nuclear Energy Cooperation Sub-Sector Network (NEC-SSN) to support the development of future nuclear cooperation activities. The Ministers welcomed the interest from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to work with the ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting for Energy (SOME) and looked forward to establishing collaboration in the areas of nuclear safety.
ERIA's efforts are underscored in paragraph 6, 9, 12, and 13 of the joint ministerial statement of 9th East Asia Summit Energy Ministers Meeting.
6. The Ministers underscored the usefulness of sharing energy supply and demand outlooks across the EAS region which helps provide inputs for energy analysis and policy formulation to better understand potential impacts of supply shocks and disasters. The Ministers welcomed the launch of the special report on Southeast Asia Energy Outlook (SAEO) 2015 of the World Energy Outlook which was prepared by the International Energy Agency (IEA) and the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
9. The Ministers noted with satisfaction the further progress made in the Biofuels for Transport and Other Purposes Work Stream and recognised the contributions of New Energy Foundation (NEF) of Japan, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) and ERIA, specifically the Biofuels Database Project in EAS countries, Renewable Energy Researchers Invitation Program and the joint studies on Benchmarking of Renewable Mobility Energy in EAS countries.
12. The Ministers expressed appreciation to ERIA for the technical assistance in enhancing coordinated emergency response policies and the research on (i) energy saving potentials; (ii) energy efficiency roadmap; (iii) promoting smart energy management; (iv) benchmarking of renewable mobility energy; and (v) sustainability assessment of geothermal resources under the Work Streams. The Ministers noted ERIA's studies on enhancing the strategic use of coal through clean coal technologies, optimum electric power infrastructure, nuclear power safety management, smart urban transportation and sustainable natural gas markets. The Ministers welcomed the proposal for ERIA to develop an EAS Roadmap for Mid-and Long-term Energy Policy Research in close collaboration with EAS participating countries.
13. The Ministers noted the convening of the 3rd Meeting of Energy Research Institute Network (ERIN) on 27 September 2015 and the 2nd ERIN Workshop on Energy Efficiency and Conservation Policies on 28 September 2015 that was held in Jakarta, Indonesia. The Ministers also welcomed the commencement of four collaborative studies between ERIA and ERIN.