Special Advisor on Healthcare & Long Term Care Policy
Osuke Komazawa graduated from School of Medicine, Tohoku University in 2000 and obtained medical doctor's licence in the same year. He underwent five years' training as ENT surgeon.
In 2005, he entered PhD course of Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Nagasaki University, being interested in demographic transition, health transition and sustainability of development of human beings. During his PhD course, he joined the project to establish Health and Demographic Surveillance System (HDSS) in the rural areas of Western and Coastal Kenya and conducted fieldwork in the target areas of HDSS. His dissertation focuses on the community effect of long-lasting insecticide-treated bed nets (LLINs), which implies that the mass distribution of LLINs can be effective not only for net users but also non users. Nagasaki University conferred a PhD degree on him in 2013.
He was appointed as the resident director of Nairobi Research Station, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), in 2009. During his two years' duty in Nairobi, he hosted several scientific symposia and conferences which supported scientists from various parts of the world to collaborate on the scientific research conducted in Africa. He also contributed to making of MoU between JSPS and the Kenyan counterpart under Kenyan government.
After he resumed working as an ENT surgeon at Nagasaki University Hospital from 2013 to 2015, he transferred to Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan (MHLW). He was assigned to a position in Health Insurance Bureau and later under the Director-General for Statistics and Information Policy.
- Human Ecology
Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Science
Doctor of Medicine
Special Advisor to the ERIA President for Healthcare and Long Term Care Policy
Technical Officer for Medical Insurance Guidance
Medical Insurance Guidance and Inspection Officer
Staff ENT Surgeon
|2003-2005||Staff ENT Surgeon|
Yamagata City Hospital SAISEIKAN
Yamagata City Hospital SAISEIKAN
Kesen-numa Public Hospital
Tohoku University Hospital
Certification and License
Board Certified Member, the Oto-Rhino-Laryngological Society of Japan
|2000||License to Practice Medicine, Japan|
- Komazawa O, Kaneko S, K'Opiyo J, Kiche I, Wanyua S, Shimada M and Karama M. (2012). "Are long-lasting insecticidal nets effective for preventing childhood deaths amont non-net users? A community-based cohort study in Western Kenya." PLoS ONE 7(11): e49604.
- Kaneko S, K'Opiyo J, Kiche I, Wanyua S, Goto K, Tanaka J, Mwatasa C, Morris N, Komazawa O, Karama M, Moji K and Shimada M (2012). "Health and Demographic Surveillance System in the Western and Coastal Kenya: An Infrastructure for Epidemiologic Studies in Africa." Journal of Epidemiology 22(3): 276-285.
- Magafu MG, Moji K, Igumbor EU, Hashizume M, Mizota T, Komazawa O, Cai G and Yamamoto T (2009). "Usefulness of highly active antiretroviral therapy on health-related quality of life of adult recipients in Tanzania." AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 23(7): 563-70.
- Komazawa O, Yokoyama J, Hashimoto S, Koiwa H, Nishikawa H (2001). "Clinical study of lip carcinoma." Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (Tokyo) 73(10): 708-11. (in Japanese)
- Feldmeier H, Komazawa O and Moji K (2014). “Nodding Syndrome in Uganda: Field observations, challenges and research agenda.” Tropical Medicine and Health 42(2 Suppl): 44-49
- Komazawa O, Saito T (2014). “Up to date knowledge on Nodding Syndrome. Symptoms, causes and treatments.” Newsletter of Japan Association for Nilo-Ethiopian Studies 21:7-12. (in Japanese)