ASEAN Roadshow to Japan took place from 25 to 28 April 2012 in Sendai and Tokyo, Japan
The ASEAN Roadshow to Japan took place from 25 to 28 April 2012 in Sendai and Tokyo, Japan.
The Roadshow was organized by the ASEAN Economic Ministers (AEM), the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) of Japan and the Secretary-General of ASEAN, with the support of the AEM-METI Economic and Industrial Cooperation Committee (AMEICC), the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), business organizations, government-affiliated organizations and local governments.
Several events were held with the purpose of enhancing economic relations between ASEAN and Japan by both the public and private sectors, accelerating overseas operations of Japanese products and services, sharing the lessons of the reconstruction activities of the disasters in East Asia including the Great East Japan Earthquake, and promoting trade and investment in East Asia.
Outcomes of the Roadshow are as follows:
1. Conducted site visites to the Sendai and noted the remarkable progress of the recovery of Japan.
2. Assured of the continued support of Japan in its economic integration efforts including the early launch of the negotiation for the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP)
3. Promoted "ASEAN" to key stakeholders in Japan at the ASEAN Investment Forum and the FTA Symposium.
4. Viewed best practice principles being employed Japan to steer the growth and encourage the development of SMEs.
5. Exchanged views of concrete cooperation projects of the ASEAN-Japan 10 year Strategic Economic Cooperation Roadmap.
Events related to ERIA are as follows:
Welcome Dinner?April 25??ERIA Lunch Reception?ERIA Sendai Symposium?April 26?? Site Visit to SME and Model of Comprehensive Higher Professional Education System?FTA Symposium?April 27?? ASEAN-Japan Public and Private Policy Dialogue?Closing Reception?April 28?
After the Roadshow, Joint Media Statement on the ASEAN Roadshow to Japan was issued. To reach the statement, please click the following PDF file.
??Excerpt the paragraph related to ERIA?
Outcomes of the Road Show
1.The AEM expressed sympathy to the people of Sendai for the Great East Japan Earthquake and Tsunami that occurred last year and noted the remarkable progress of the recovery of Japan, particularly in the Tohoku region, from this natural disaster. They conducted site visits to the Sendai Port and a Japanese manufacturing facility and participated in the ERIA Symposium towards a Disaster Resilient Economy in East Asia, all of which were held in Sendai.
2. Following the discussions at the ERIA Symposium, the AEM re-affirmed the importance of deepening and strengthening the resilience of the supply chain network in East Asia, recognizing the speed at which economic activities were restored after natural disasters such as the earthquake in Japan and floods in the Mekong region took place.
4. The AEM also successfully promoted "ASEAN" to key stakeholders in Japan at the ASEAN Investment Forum which included an exhibition showcasing ASEAN goods and information on investing in ASEAN Member States and the FTA Symposium towards Economic Integration in ASEAN and East Asia.
(1)Boosting Trade and Investment between ASEAN and Japan in the Eveloving Regional Architecture
-Materialize the idea of "connectivity master plan plus" with appropriate reference to the Comprehensive Asia Development Plan based on the importance of connectivity between ASEAN and the other areas in East Asia.
(2)Strengthening Strategic Economic Relations between ASEAN and Japan towards the Future
(Support for Small and Medium Enterprises)
-Promote and support the efforts of the Asia Professional Education Network (APEN) and ERIA to strengthen networks of SMEs in ASEAN and East Asia through "Only-one SME Mission" to ASEAN Member States, the establishment of the "APEN Credibility Index for SMEs" and the development of the "Comprehensive Higher Professional Education System", which will enhance technology transfer and collaboration among SMEs and enhance human resource development.
(3)Establishing a Disaster Resilient Society in East Asia
-Task ERIA to further study the disaster preparedness of ASEAN's supply chain networks, including institutional prevention mechanisms, effective development of infrastructure and overall connectivity of the region.
Photo1: ASEAN-Japan Public and Private Policy Dialogue?April 28?
Photo2: Site Visit to Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology ?April 27?
Photo3: Welcome Dinner ?April 25?