Rashesh Shrestha is an Economist as ERIA. He earned his PhD from the Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics in the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His research interests are labor markets, economic development, and human capital investment. At ERIA, his projects cover human capital development, education, global value chains, trade facilitation, regulatory management system, and financial inclusion. Prior to joining ERIA, he conducted research and taught courses on Applied Microeconomics and Aid and Development Policy at the Arndt-Corden Department of Economics at the Australian National University. He is originally from Nepal.
- Labor Economics
- Applied Econometrics
- Asian Economies
PhD in Applied Economics
BA in Economics
- Vinish Shrestha & Rashesh Shrestha (forthcoming). "Multigenerational Effect of Education Reform: Mother's Education and Children's Human Capital in Nepal." The World Bank Economic Review.
- Shrestha, Rashesh. (2019). “Early Life Shocks, Cognitive Ability, and Labor Market Outcomes in Indonesia.” Asian Economic Papers, 18(2): 77-95.
- Shrestha, Rashesh & Ian Coxhead (2018). Can Indonesia Secure a Development Dividend from Its Resource Export Boom•, Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 54:1, 1-24.
- Coxhead, Ian, & Shrestha, Rashesh (2017). Globalization and School-Work Choices in an Emerging Economy: Vietnam. Asian Economic Papers, 16(2), 28-45.
- Coxhead, Ian, & Shrestha, Rashesh (2016). Could a Resource Export Boom Reduce Workers’ earnings• The Labour Market Channel in Indonesia. Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 52(2), 1-36.
Reports, book reviews, and book chapters
- Rashesh Shrestha & Ian Coxhead, in press. “Export boom, employment bust? The paradox of Indonesia’s displaced workers, 2000-2014.” Forthcoming in M. Bachetta and M. Helble, eds, Trade Adjustment in Asia: Past Experiences and Lessons Learned. Asian Development Bank Institute. (Working Paper: ADBI Working Papers No. 874)
- Shrestha, Rashesh (2019). "Services Liberalization in ASEAN: Foreign Direct Investment in Logistics" edited by Tham Siew Yean and Sanchita Basu Das (eds) ISEAS, Singapore, 2018 Pp. 375+ xxvii, ISBN: 978 981 4786 18 8." Asian‐Pacific Economic Literature, 33:1, 140-141.
- Chia, Siow Yue, Rashesh Shrestha, Fukunari Kimura, and Ha Doan. (2019). “Skills Mobility and Common Certification Systems.” In Intal, P. and M. Pangestu, Integrated and Connected Seamless ASEAN Economic Community, Jakarta: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, pp. 77–95.
- Kimura, Fukunari, Rashesh Shrestha, and Dionisius Narjoko. (2019). “The Digital and Fourth Industrial Revolution and ASEAN Economic Transformation.” In Kimura, F., V. Anbumozhi, H. Nishimura. (eds.), Transforming and Deepening the ASEAN Community, Jakarta: Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, pp.1–23.
- Edward Aspinall, Paul Kenny, and Rashesh Shrestha (2019). “Oil palm expansion and conflict in Indonesia.”
- Vinish Shrestha & Rashesh Shrestha. "The Combined Role of Subsidy and Awareness in Uptake of Stigmatized Products." (under review)
- Shrestha, Rashesh & Samuel Nursamsu. “Financial inclusion and household outcomes in Indonesia.”
- Shrestha, Rashesh, Ha Doan, & Samuel Nursamsu. “Imported intermediate goods and employment”
Shrestha, Rashesh & Daniel Suryadarma. “Education and productivity in ASEAN countries.”
Publications in popular press
- Education reform: A policy imperative for ASEAN’s changing labour market. Myanmar Times, June 2019.
- Diagnosing causes of inequality crucial for ASEAN. The Jakarta Post , April 2018.
- Why are Indonesians being left behind? East Asia Forum, September 2016.
- Embracing adversity. Republica, July 2015.
- Stop Child Labor in Nepal. Fair Observer, June 2015.