World Tsunami Awareness Day 2016 - Indonesia
The United Nations General Assembly designated 5 November as the World Tsunami Awareness Day (WTAD) and it has called on countries, international bodies, and civil society to observe the day in order to raise awareness of tsunami and disaster risk reduction.
On 15 December, The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), in cooperation with Indonesia's National Disaster Management Authority (Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana--BNPB) and the Government of Japan, will host a Symposium to raise awareness of the day as well as to share experience and information about disaster preparedness, prevention, and mitigation in ASEAN and East Asia. As the last event in a series of seminars and commemoration events in this first year of WTAD, this symposium will deliver an overview and share the outcome of the other events, such as the High School Students Summit on World Tsunami Awareness Day in Japan.
- Time: 09:00 - 12:30 (registration opens at 08:30)
- RSVP: click here to register online
- Further information: Ms Tita Pramuditha at firstname.lastname@example.org (English and Indonesian) or Mr Nobuyuki Mori at email@example.com (English and Japanese)
Summary of Programme
- Special speeches by Vice President of Indonesia H.E. Drs H. Jusuf Kalla, Indonesian and Japanese Parliamentary Members.
- Reports on the series of events on 'World Tsunami Awareness Day' by Indonesian and Japanese high school students, UNISDR, ESCAP, UNESCO, and JICA.
- Reports on regional disaster management activities by OECD and Indonesian and Japanese Governors.
- Other information:Lunch for participants will be served after the symposium. A press conference will be scheduled before lunch.
Reference: Other commemoration events of WTAD in 2016
- Commemoration event on establishment of 'WTAD' (New York, 29 March)
- Side Event at ESCAP Assembly (Bangkok, 18 May)
- Commemoration event on establishment of 'World Tsunami Awareness Day' (Chile and Peru, 25-28 July)
- Symposium by Tohoku University and Hawaii University (Hawaii, 16-19 September)
- Event on International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (New York, 13 October)
- Seminar by UNISDR for DRR officials (Trinidad and Tobago, 20 October)
- Event on World Tsunami Awareness Day (New York, 3 November)
- Sessions at Asia Ministerial Conference on DRR by UNISDR (India, 2-5 November)
- Events to raise public awareness (Japan, 5 November)
- Seminar by UNISDR for DRR officials (Mauritius, 22-25 November)
- Aceh Seminar on Tsunami Preparedness - Commemorating the World Tsunami Day (Indonesia, 3 -5 November)
- High School Students Summit on 'World Tsunami Awareness Day' in Kuroshio(TBC) (Japan, 25 - 26 November)