Social Protection Goals in East Asia: Strategies and Methods to Generate Fiscal Space
The book examines the conceptual, economic, and fiscal impact(s) of the Social Protection Floor (SPF) initiative of the International Labor Organisation (ILO) and other policy influencers by first critically examining the methodologies used by the international agencies to estimate the fiscal costs of designated minimum package(s) of social protection programs. The book also briefly reviews the methodologies used and usefulness of the Social Protection Index (SPI) of the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
Second, the book analyses strategies and specific initiatives used by the selected East Asian countries (China, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam), designed to progress towards the social protection goals underlying the Social Development Goals (SDGs) adopted by the United Nations in September 2015, and endorsed by the countries covered in this book.
Finally, the book provides a framework for generating fiscal space to fund the social protection programs and initiatives. The country chapters utilise this framework in the context of each specific country to suggest generating fiscal space.
About the Book
Edited by Mukul G. Asher, Fauziah Zen, and Astrid Dita
238 pages | 28 B/W Illus.
Table of Contents
- Approaches and Fiscal Space Generation for Social Protection Goals: An Overview (Mukul Asher, Fauziah Zen, and Astrid Dita)
- Review of Approaches to Assess the Sustainability of Social Protection Floors (Krzysztof Hagemejer)
- Social Protection Programs in China: Assessments and Prospects (Jin Feng)
- Social Protection System in India: An Analysis of the Recent Initiatives (Mukul Asher and Yutika Vora)
- The Case of Social Protection Floor in Indonesia (Fauziah Zen and Astrid Dita)
- Social Protection Floor: A Perspective from the Developing East Asia: Thailand (Srawooth Paitoonpong, Phacharawadee Tasee, and Pimrumpa Waisuriya)
- Social Protection Floor: Philippines (Aniceto C. Orbeta, Jr.)
- An Analysis of Social Protection Floor (SPF) Arrangements in Vietnam (Nguyen Thi Lan Huong)
Click here to purchase the book. Hardback version available.