East Asia Summit 'Energy Market Deregulation Forum'
Energy market deregulation is one of the key areas of focus under the East Asia Summit (EAS) Energy Market Integration (EMI) Work Plan. The inaugural EAS Energy Market Deregulation Forum provided a platform for energy policy makers and regulators to showcase experiences, challenges and recent steps to promote energy market deregulation and to share the various measures used to gauge the performance of the electricity markets in the EAS member states.
Session 1 - Market Deregulation
Regulators shared experience on electricity market deregulation in their respective countries, including recent steps taken to promote deregulation and the challenges that they face.
1. Mr. Gil Hong Kim, Director, Sustainable Infrastructure Division, Regional and Sustainable Development Department, Asia Development Bank.
2. Mr.Wong Mui Quee, Senior Director, Economic Regulation & Licensing.
3.Mr. Takuya Yamazaki, Director, Electricity System Reform, Electricity Market Division, Agency for Natural Resources Energy.
Session 2 - Gauging the Performance of the Electricity Market
Regulators provided an update on the performance of their electricity markets, and shared the key areas and measures they monitor to gauge the performance of their respective markets.
1. Mr. Carl Hansen, Chief Executive, New Zealand Electricity Authority.
2. Datuk Ahmad Fauzi, Chief Executive, Energy Commission of Malaysia.
3. Dr. Pallapa Ruangrong, Commissioner, Energy Regulatory Commission of Thailand.